Your Building Control Team

About Building Control Charges

Building Control is a self-financing service. Unless the work undertaken is intended to provide certain facilities for disabled people, we are required by law to charge for our services to recover our costs - these services are not funded from your Council Tax.

To find out how much you should pay, you can read our:

Please contact us for a competitive quote.

The correct charge will need to be paid before we can validate your application. Unless the correct payment is received, the application will not be legally deposited and cannot be registered. Building works cannot start until an application is accepted and registered. We will confirm this in writing.

Payment for either a full plans or a building notice application cannot be refunded if you then decide not to proceed with the work.

All charges are on the assumption that the person undertaking the design and construction work is competent. If not, there may be additional charges.

How to pay

We are able to receive payment for applications by:

Regularisation applications

We will assess regularisation application charges individually. They are available on request and are usually based on an individual fee proposal.

Larger projects

We will assess charges for larger projects individually including projects that have 3 or more categories of work. Larger projects may consist of innovative or high risk construction techniques and/or the duration of the building work from start to finish will be longer than 12 months.

Non-domestic work

Fees for non-domestic work are available on request and are usually based on an individual fee proposal.

Exemptions for works for disabled people

Work undertaken solely for a disabled person is only exempt from charges if it meets specific requirements. Please check with us before submitting to avoid a delay in processing your application. Please provide a copy of the approved grant letter provided by environmental health or a letter from your occupational therapist indicating your disabilities and reason for the work.

Inspection charges

Inspection charges may be paid online with a credit or debit card. Agents should ensure their clients are made aware that an inspection charge will be invoiced when building work starts on site and how much that charge will be. Our acknowledgement letter will confirm this charge. A completion certificate will not be issued until the inspection charge has been paid in full.

Complaints about charges

If you have a complaint about your level of charges, you should initially raise your concern with the relevant officer. If you feel that your complaint has not been satisfactorily answered, please contact us at:




Was this page useful?

Our Partners

Wokingham Borough Council West Berkshire Council