About Building Control Charges
You or your agent must submit either a Full Plans Application or a Building Notice Application before commencing building work.
Charges for a Full Plans Application can be split into two payments. The first payment is the plan charge, This is paid when you submit your application. The second payment is the inspection charge. This is paid as soon as work commences on site. You will be invoiced for this.
With a Building Notice Application you pay the full charge when the application is submitted.
Building Control is a self-financing service. We are required by law to charge for our services to recover our costs. These services are not funded from your Council Tax. These charges are set to cover the cost of providing the service.
Please note: Our charges increase as from 1st April 2023.
When charges are not payable
Charges are not payable:
- for initial consultations and providing pre-application advice on meeting building regulation and related standards
- where more detailed pre-application advice is required we may charge a further fee based on our involvement. This fee will be deducted when you submit your scheme
- where plans have been either approved or rejected for substantially the same work
Establishing your charge
We have two approaches to establishing the charge for your building work.
The majority of domestic extensions and alteration work will generally attract a charge which falls within our standard charges tables. If the charge for your building regulations work is not listed as a standard charge it will be individually determined. Our Charges Guidance (PDF document) outlines our scheme.
Our standard charges have been set on the following assumptions:
- that building work does not include high risk or innovative construction - these may require additional checking for compliance
- that the length of the project from commencement to completion does not exceed 12 months
- that the building work will be undertaken by a person or company who is competent to carry out the relevant design and building work
Individually Determined Charges
Individually determined charges relate to commercial projects or larger domestic schemes that are not listed in our standard charge tables.
In addition to the above Charges, there are a range of services that Building Control offers.
Please be aware that our charges have increased with effect from Friday 1st April 2023.
Charges can be complicated, please phone us on 0300 790 0580 for assistance.
The correct charge will need to be paid before we can accept your application. Unless the correct payment is received, the application cannot be registered. Building works cannot start until an application is accepted and registered. We will confirm this to you in writing.
Please note that payment for either a full plans or a building notice application cannot be refunded if you then decide not to proceed with the work.
All charges are based on the assumption that the person undertaking the design and construction work is competent. If not, there may be additional charges payable.
How to pay
Inspection charges may be paid online . Our acknowledgement letter will confirm this charge to you. Agents should ensure their clients are made aware that an inspection charge will be invoiced when building work starts on site and how much that charge will be. A completion certificate will not be issued until the inspection charge has been paid in full.
Please note that our invoice will be sent out electronically. Please adjust your email account setting to accept an email from the following email address: email@example.com
Please check your spam folder in case any incoming email is forwarded to it.
We will assess regularisation application charges individually. They are available on request and are usually based on an individual fee proposal.
Exemptions for works for disabled people
Work undertaken only for a disabled person is exempt from charges if it meets certain requirements. Please check before submitting to avoid a delay in your application.
Charges are not payable for some work that only benefits people with disabilities. This only applies to dwellings:
- provision or extension of a room to be used solely for carrying out medical treatment that cannot reasonably be carried out in any other room in the dwelling
- storage of medical equipment for the use of the disabled person
- sleeping accommodation for a carer where the disabled person requires 24-hour care
- buildings to which the public have access for purpose of providing means of access for disabled
- persons by way of entrance or exit to or from the building or any part of it; or for the provision of facilities designed to secure the greater health, safety and welfare of disabled persons
Please provide a copy of the approved grant letter provided by environmental health or a letter from your occupational therapist indicating your disabilities and reason for the work.
Complaints about charges
If you have a complaint about your level of charges, you should raise your concern with the relevant officer. If you feel that your complaint has not been satisfactorily answered, please email us.
Was this page useful?