Your Building Control Team

Reporting a dangerous structure or building

If you think that a building has become a danger to the public, call us on 0300 790 0580  between 8.30am to 5.00pm. You can also email us:

When reporting a dangerous structure please provide as much information as possible including:

What happens next?

Once we've received the report of a dangerous structure, we will assess the information provided and will make arrangements if necessary to inspect the property. In an emergency, we will take the steps that are necessary to prevent danger to the public. The owner of the property is legally responsible for the condition and maintenance of the property and will be expected to take all such necessary steps to prevent danger to the public. Reasonably incurred expenses as a result of any works we carry out will be recovered from the owner of the property.

Applying for a demolition notice

Section 80 of the Building Act 1984 requires you to give notice of any intended demolition work. Our online form helps you to do this quickly and simply. Once your submission has been received we will contact you to arrange payment for your application. See our Miscellaneous Charges (PDF Document) for more information on the charge for this service. Alternatively, you can complete our Demolition Notice Application form (PDF Document) and email it to us at Your application will remain invalid until full payment has been received. You are not permitted to start works until we have issued a Demolition Notice. Read our Demolition Notice Guidance Notes (PDF Document). When you submit your notice you will need to supply the following documents:

These are necessary as part of the contractors duties. Don't forget the Party Wall Act as this may also apply. You will also need to notify the occupiers of any adjoining properties separately; and also your gas, electricity and water suppliers. Once we receive your Notice, we will send out a Counter Notice explaining our requirements as soon as possible. This will contain conditions that will secure the health and safety of the public as well as requirements under which you should undertake the demolition work. Please ensure you read these carefully. You should not commence demolition work until you receive the Counter Notice or a period of 6 weeks has expired.

We also send copies to adjoining occupiers and other external agencies i.e. the Fire Service, Environment Agency, Health and Safety Executive, Ordnance Survey and the gas electricity and water suppliers. They may have certain requirements and might need to access the site for instance to isolate their services.

Listed buildings and buildings in Conservation Areas

Any alteration of a listed building involving partial or complete demolition will require separate formal listed building consent and planning permission. Unauthorised alteration is illegal and will result in prosecution. The substantial or complete demolition of an unlisted building in a conservation area also requires Conservation Area Consent.

Dealing with asbestos materials

If prior or during demolition works, certain types of asbestos material are found; the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) should be notified immediately. For more information about dealing with asbestos visit the Health and Safety Executive website. Read the Asbestos Cement Clad Buildings Guidance (PDF document) on the Health and Safety Executive website. Unless the skip operator or contractor is already licensed to transport asbestos based products; a license will be required from the Environment Agency to move any asbestos based material off-site.


Was this page useful?

Our Partners

Wokingham Borough Council West Berkshire Council The Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead