Reporting a dangerous structure or building
The Local Authority Building Control team are responsible for dealing with dangerous structures and unsafe buildings in West Berkshire & Wokingham Borough areas.
What we consider a dangerous structure
- badly maintained boundary or retaining walls adjacent to a public right of way.
- buildings with loose slates that may fall into the street.
- unoccupied premises that may have become unsafe due to vandalism.
- buildings damaged by fire or a crash.
We do not deal with everything that is unsafe, for example:
- timber fences.
- domestic garden sheds
- external parts of a building or structure that would fall into private rear gardens.
However, if the danger relates to trees, pavements or public highways, please use the following on-line forms:
For West Berkshire:
For Wokingham Borough:
- Trees - dangerous or overhanging
- Road sign - damage
- Pavement - damage
- Public rights of way
- Street problems
How to report a dangerous structure or building
When reporting a dangerous structure please provide as much information as possible including:
- Photographic records to allow us to make an assessment as to its urgency.
- Address of the property
- Contact details for the owner of the property
What happens after you have reported a dangerous structure to us?
Once we have received the report of a dangerous structure, we will assess the information provided. If necessary, our surveyor will visit the site to inspect the structure and to decide what action needs to be taken to remove any danger.
We may put barriers around the structure or close roads to protect people's safety while the owner of the building arranges to make the structure/building safe.
If we consider it an immediate danger and likely to collapse, our surveyor will arrange for the danger to be removed or repaired.
In these cases, we work closely with the emergency services as well as other organisations, such as the Heath & Safety Executive, Environment Agency and the Local Authority Highways Department.
The owner of the property is legally responsible for the condition and maintenance of their property and will be expected to take all such necessary steps to prevent danger to the public. Reasonably incurred expenses as a result of any works we carry out will be recovered from the owner of the property.
Was this page useful?