Your LABC Building Control Team

Scaffolding & hoarding on the highway

A Scaffolding or hoarding licence is required for any scaffold or hoarding that is erected, encroaches, or otherwise effects the public highway pursuant to s169, 172 and 173 Highways Act 1980. You can view the roads and verges we maintain here.


The cost of a licence is £215 for the first four weeks. A charge of £135 is required for each 4 week period thereafter, or if an extension to the originally licensed period is required.

Payment will be requested once your application has been assessed and approved. A licence will not be granted until payment is received.

Extra charges may apply if:

Please make yourself familiar with our terms and conditions for erecting scaffolding or hoarding.

How to apply

You can apply for a new licence (or the renewal of an existing one) by completing and submitting the form below.

Please provide all of the following with your application. If you do not, your application will be refused.

Please allow a minimum of 10 working days between applying for and the proposed commencement date of your licence. If there is an urgent safety issue requiring an expedited application, please contact the Streetworks Team on 0118 974 6000.

Scaffold and Hoarding Licence Application Form (Word document)

Scaffold and Hoarding Licence Application Form (PDF document)

Applications within the West Berkshire District Council area can be made for a scaffolding licence or a hoarding licence.


Was this page useful?

Working with Our Partners

Wokingham Borough Council West Berkshire Council