Scaffolding & hoarding on the highway
A Scaffolding or hoarding licence is required for any scaffold or hoarding that is erected, encroaches, or otherwise effects the public highway pursuant to s169, 172 and 173 Highways Act 1980. You can view the roads and verges we maintain here.
The cost of a licence is £215 for the first four weeks. A charge of £135 is required for each 4 week period thereafter, or if an extension to the originally licensed period is required.
Payment will be requested once your application has been assessed and approved. A licence will not be granted until payment is received.
Extra charges may apply if:
- Wokingham Borough Council contractors are called to light the site or otherwise make it safe,
- A bus stop suspension is required – the applicant must arrange this with the bus service provider
- If any other licensable activity such as traffic management is required (such as a road closure or temporary traffic lights)
- If parking bays need to be suspended
Please make yourself familiar with our terms and conditions for erecting scaffolding or hoarding.
How to apply
You can apply for a new licence (or the renewal of an existing one) by completing and submitting the form below.
Please provide all of the following with your application. If you do not, your application will be refused.
- A copy of your Public Liability Insurance for a minimum of £10 million in respect of any one incident
- Confirmation of how many metres of footway will be available for pedestrian use. A minimum of 1.2 metres of pedestrian space must be maintained at all times. If maintaining 1.2 metres of existing pedestrian space cannot be achieved, a traffic management plan showing how this minimum width will be achieved
- A fully dimensioned site plan, showing the location and where the scaffolding/hoarding will be in relation to the building
Please allow a minimum of 10 working days between applying for and the proposed commencement date of your licence. If there is an urgent safety issue requiring an expedited application, please contact the Streetworks Team on 0118 974 6000.